Old August 5th 16, 05:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Arthur Figgis Arthur Figgis is offline

Default Keygo to expand

On 05/08/2016 00:51, bob wrote:
wrote:

And there was me thinking that ticketing was one bit that wasn't meant to be
so fragmented after privatisation.

I thought the whole idea behind ITSO cards and technology was to avoid
precisely this issue. Where did it all go wrong?

A while ago I met some techies from a TOC and TfL, who told me there is
a big problem with the conflict between a political desire to let 'the
market' come up with something instead of being told what to do by the
government, and the practical need to have someone in charge who can
decide on a standard which everyone can then actually get on and use.

Everyone knows it is daft for every company to deploy its own system,
but co-ordination needs someone in charge to decide what to use. The
techies claimed that every time there was almost an agreement, Claire
Perry would run away and say it had to be left to the market rather than
DfT.

Plus, TOCs want to hold on to their passenger data, not share it with
rivals who might bid for the next franchise.

And there is the issue of goat-herding orphans, which acts as a brake on
technology. Even deciding they can just walk instead takes ages.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK