Old August 11th 16, 10:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] spud@potato.field is offline

Default Sadiq Khan and TfL on taxis and minicabs

On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 11:32:46 +0100
Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 11/08/2016 09:13, Robin9 wrote:

That Uber don't like these new requirements and have prepared
a ready-made email for their drivers to send to TfL indicates three
things:

1) A lot of Uber drivers don't speak English very well;
2) Taking back in house the testing of private hire drivers and
setting even a moderate standard will immediately reduce the
number of new entrants;
3) The propaganda put out by the "remain" group that all
immigrants working in this country were exceptionally gifted
people unmatched by any Briton was nonsense.

Why do we want less cabbies (of all types, including black and private
hire) anyway? Most other industries are left to set their own level of
employees and even where people are self-employed the market is somewhat
self-balancing.

The ratio of empty black cabs to occupied round where I work is about 5:1.
A few less of them driving around in circles would sort out a lot of
congestion and pollution in one go.

If the claim is that you need a decent level of English to drive in the
UK, then I can think of several areas of London which would suddenly
have a lot less cars on the road if that were to be enacted and enforced.

Which could only be a good thing. If they can't speak or read english
properly then they probably have little idea about the highway code.

It's not like we're universally swamped at the moment, otherwise why did
Uber want to charge me a surge fare last night?

Because they could. And once they've killed off local minicab businesses just
watch the prices go up and the standards down. Still, it uses an app so that
makes it ok no matter what, right?

--
Spud