Old August 11th 16, 01:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london
tim... tim... is offline

Default Sadiq Khan and TfL on taxis and minicabs

"Recliner" wrote in message
bob wrote:

I think the true motivation becomes clear if you read it as minicab =
Uber.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37038864

Quote:

Transport bosses have defended new regulations requiring private hire
drivers to pass a test in English, following criticism from Uber.

The company said the exam would put drivers out of work.

From 1 October, Transport for London (TfL) will require the qualification
of licence applicants from countries where English is not the majority
language.

It said the new rule had strong public support and was less stringent than
that imposed on black-cab drivers.
The new rules will apply to anyone seeking a new licence or a licence
renewal.

Initial proposals had called for only proficiency in spoken English, but
the final draft requires, among other criteria, at least an intermediate
language qualification.

Besides the spoken portion, the exam also tests reading, writing and
listening skills.

It is referred to as the "B1" level on the Common European Framework of
Reference for Languages and is equivalent to the level the national
curriculum in England expects of children aged nine to 11 years.

In their first language, not in a second one

After 6 years of lessons, I still hadn't achieved that level in French aged
16 (and I wasn't alone in that)

Though I will admit it's easier to learn a foreign language when you get to
practice it in the real world with fluent speakers, instead of just in a
classroom with people who are no better than you

But, reaching conversation level in a second language is still not a
slam-dunk, some people never manage it, however hard they try.

Though none of that is to say that I think the test isn't appropriate for
Taxi drivers. I do think that they should be able to master conversational
English, if they are targeting English speaking passengers.

A TfL spokesman said it was presumed that to pass the black-cab drivers'
"Knowledge" exam, applicants would need a much higher proficiency in
English than the intermediate level to be required of private hire
drivers.

I thought "the knowledge" training was specifically available in foreign
languages to give foreign speaking drivers a chance to qualify without
having fluent English.

tim