Old August 11th 16, 09:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Sadiq Khan and TfL on taxis and minicabs

On 2016-08-11 10:32:46 +0000, Someone Somewhere said:

Basically all a driver needs to understand is an address or postcode,
in particular with Uber if there are then problems you can deal with
customer services.

That is inconvenient and should not be necessary. I speak English in
England and expect to be understood by any customer service employee I
deal with in any industry when I do so.

If the claim is that you need a decent level of English to drive in the
UK, then I can think of several areas of London which would suddenly
have a lot less cars on the road if that were to be enacted and
enforced.

I would be fully supportive of it being enforced throughout the UK in
all areas of customer facing[1] employment, e.g. through the work
permit system.

It's not like we're universally swamped at the moment, otherwise why
did Uber want to charge me a surge fare last night?

It's not about being swamped, it's about a basic level of service we
should be able to expect, for safety if nothing else.
Misunderstandings in late night minicabs (whether Uber or not) are
potentially dangerous.

[1] I don't care if the prevailing language in a warehouse is something
other than English, I do care if I can't ask a member of staff a
question without gesturing.

Neil
--
Neil Williams