Old August 12th 16, 07:35 AM
Robin9 Robin9 is offline
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil Jet[_4_] View Post
On 2016-08-10 19:10:47 +0000, Recliner said:

Transport bosses have defended new regulations requiring private hire
drivers to pass a test in English, following criticism from Uber.

I don't have a problem with that idea. English is the main language
spoken in the UK. I should be able to expect to communicate in English
with any customer facing person I deal with in any industry in the UK,
just as I would expect that if I wanted a job in France I would have to
speak basic, understandable French, and German in Germany etc.

I don't care about where they are from (provided they are here legally)
but I do agree with the principle of not making communication awkward.

Except that you have the choice of which company you use, and can
boycott any company that doesn't speak English if you feel so inclined.
If someone wants to set up a minicab company in New Malden with Korean
speaking drivers for Korean speaking passengers, I don't see why they
should be legally compelled to speak English as well.
Your hypothetical company gets into trouble immediately.
If a local person wants a car, does the company turn them
down because they don't speak Korean? That would
constitute discrimination.