Old May 17th 04, 12:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Colin Colin is offline

Default Check-in for Eurostar at Waterloo

"Sam Holloway" wrote in message
Hi folks,

Could anyone who's been on Eurostar from Waterloo comment on how early
it's worth checking-in? The tickets say I must arrive no later than 30
mins before the departure (which is fair enough) - is it worth turning
up much earlier than this in practice?

Thanks for any advice,

Sam
--
Sam Holloway, Cambridge

Not really IMHO. As long as you put your ticket in the check in barrier 30
minutes before departure time, personally I'd leave it as late as possible.

After that point there is a bag scan, and you have to check the screens to
work out which platform / access escalator you need to use. Also worth
filling in some bag labels if you have large bags to leave in the train
vestibules. Allow 10-15 minutes (depending on popularity of travel day) for
all of that.

All there is in the terminal itself are a couple of WHsmiths and Coffee
Bars. So unless you are looking to pick up some reading material for your
trip I wouldn't bother.

Trains aren't loaded with pax until 10 minutes before departure IIRC when
there is the usual minor scuffle the same as you get with pax trying to get
past the check-in assistant for aeroplanes.

Colin