Old August 17th 16, 05:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london
tim... tim... is offline

Default Sadiq Khan and TfL on taxis and minicabs

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 15:05:49 on Wed, 17 Aug 2016,
tim... remarked:

With Uber, you have to have an account, before you can use it at all.
Cash isn't an option, and nor can you just order an Uber car without
first setting up an account.

You might just as well argue that there's a deterrent to using the
Dartford crossing as you (almost) can't pay for that without setting up an
account

If I can chip in here, yes that is deterrent. I've avoided it ever since.
On the other hand I used the M6 toll for the first time a couple of months
ago, and all you have to do is lean out of the car and use any old
contactless credit card.

Personally, I think that HMG should set up a single website for all
government run automated motoring charges (I know M6T is not government run,
but I think we can include it here), so that anybody who has, say, a London
Congestion Charge account automatically has one for Dartford, and all other
tolls that are somehow paid via the internet.

They could also add other ANPR based systems as they are rolled out across
the country - for instance the LA adjacent to mine has recently started ANPR
payments at its car parks for which you have to set up a special account
(fortunately you can still pay cash in the machine). No doubt they will not
be the only ones to do this.

They should add this to a national website so that all I have to do to use
these car parks is to go to my Dartford account and check a little box that
says allow deductions from LA XYZ Parking.

Having 20 people re-invent the wheel, to the detriment of the actual
customer is nutty, but should it become 200 positively ridiculous.

(I appreciate that given where you live this probably wouldn't help you, but
it's a start)

FTAOD, I will have no complaints if anyone with the right contacts steals my
idea and presents it to the appropriate people.

Note that I am absolutely not suggesting that private companies making
charges (other than the one above) should be allowed to join the scheme, nor
should "fines" be collected this way.

tim