Old August 18th 16, 11:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Sadiq Khan and TfL on taxis and minicabs

In message
-sept
ember.org, at 09:41:28 on Thu, 18 Aug 2016, Recliner
remarked:

“True independent contractors have the freedom to decide when they want to
work and what kind of work they want to do,” Benjamin Sachs, a Harvard Law
School professor told CNNMoney. “By giving drivers timeouts, Uber is
exercising the kind of control over its workforce that employers exercise
over employees.”

I thought the whole point of Uber from a drivers point of view was being
able to work flexible hours and/or part time.

Yes, but it seems they have less freedom than they expected. And unlike a
truly self-employed person who can take a break whenever they like,

That's an oversimplification. As a (formerly) truly self-employed person
if I promised to attend at a client's site all day, it wasn't expected
that I could just take a break whenever it suited me.

Uber penalises them if they do.

Even if the driver "logs off"?