Old August 19th 16, 08:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default Sadiq Khan and TfL on taxis and minicabs

Robin wrote:
On 18/08/2016 10:41, Recliner wrote:

truly self-employed person who can take a break whenever they like,

I think that's not a valid paraphrase of the Harvard professor or of UK
law. Eg I doubt locum doctors working in A&E under a contract for
services are free to take a break "whenever they like".

I also doubt that self-employed drivers with a "patch" can decide to
take some parcels but not others; or decide half-way through a day's
deliveries that they don't want to do any more work that day.

I'm not defending Uber but I do think much depends on the precise terms
of the Uber contract.

It seems that Uber has made more progress than I thought in solving the
issues with its drivers' contracts. It could be that within a few years
Uber won't have unhappy drivers:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/featur...month-is06r7on