Old May 17th 04, 05:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Those "Pre Pay users" Oyster validators

On Mon, 17 May 2004 17:06:44 +0100, k wrote:

On Mon, 17 May 2004 12:14:56 +0000 (UTC), TheOneKEA
wrote:
What are the implications of "unresolved journeys"?

Your PrePay account will become negative

On what grounds? As it CLEARLY says on the signs - the validators are
for prepay users.

On the grounds that all Oyster cards have pre-pay functionality and if
you travel beyond your zonal availability the pre-pay element can be
deducted - even if there is NO cash on the card. You must then top up
with cash in order to make another DLR or Tube trip.

The system would appear to work differently for bus and tramlink where
you only register on entry with no requirement to register an exit on
either mode.

There is a new "Guide to using Oyster" on the leaflet racks at Tube
stations today.

I was a bit bemused by Barry's post about DLR but having read the advice
being provided on LUL Pre-Pay, then DLR and what you do at Bank and also
the advice on what to do at Wimbledon with Tramlink I have to say I am
confused.

The advice provided *seems* to be inconsistent but I am still trying to
work through the system logic in my head so don't quote me on it. It
would appear that whenever there is a "within a gateline" interchange
between operators that you must register the interchange on the card
regardless of ticket type in order for any potential excess fare or
Pre-Pay charge to be correctly calculated on eventual exit. The bit that
is confusing within the document is that there appears to be no
requirement to validate on exiting DLR at Bank, only on entry and I
can't work that out at all. I am assuming that on eventual exit the
reader must interrogate at least the last 2 journeys recorded on the
card to calculate any liability for a pre-pay deduction. Oh well back to
the drawing board for my theories.
--
Paul C