Old August 24th 16, 12:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Sadiq Khan and TfL on taxis and minicabs

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 01:26:03PM +0100, Recliner wrote:

One obvious reason: it's more expensive

IME Uber is cheaper than a local minicab company by around 25%.

especially at 'surge' times.

OK, I'll grant you that. They're rare though.

- Second reason: it's less likely to have cars available locally in
residential areas (just like black cabs).

Wrong. There are four, right now, within 500 yards of my flat.

- Third reason: you have to have a smart phone, with a signal/wi-fi
access (which is why very few blind people will have an Uber account).

The blind people I know actually find a smart phone more useful than a
dumb phone.

- Fourth reason: you have to have an Uber account before you can use
it, and Uber's app installed on your smart phone.

Well duh. And how long does it take to install and set up? Not very long
at all. It certainly takes less time than it does to find a local
minicab office if you don't know the area.

You only have to do it once though. I did it while waiting ages for a
normal minicab to become available at a cab office in Balham.

The test of the goodness of a thing is its fitness for use. If it
fails on this first test, no amount of ornamentation or finish will
make it any better, it will only make it more expensive and foolish.
-- Frank Pick, lecture to the Design and Industries Assoc, 1916