Old August 25th 16, 01:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] spud@potato.field is offline

Default Sadiq Khan and TfL on taxis and minicabs

On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 12:54:21 +0100
David Cantrell wrote:
On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 01:51:21PM +0000, d wrote:
On Wed, 24 Aug 2016 13:55:08 +0100
David Cantrell wrote:
- Third reason: you have to have a smart phone, with a signal/wi-fi
access (which is why very few blind people will have an Uber account).
The blind people I know actually find a smart phone more useful than a
dumb phone.

Oh really? And how exactly do they operate a touchscreen, press it randomly
and hope for the best?

Modern smartphones have all kinds of accessibility Stuff. In Apple-land
the bit for blind people is called VoiceOver.

Apparently you tap on the screen and it tells you whats there. Call me old
fashioned but I'm struggling to see how thats easier to use than physical
buttons that are always in the same place and easily found by touch. Seems
to me they'll be constantly prodding the screen to find the correct piece of
information and if any app presents some information as a picture or bitmap
then I suspect its screwed.

The question is - why are you supporting this silicon valley shark instead of
local businesses?

I use Uber because the local businesses that they compete with, in this
case, are ****.

Never had a problem with my local minicab service. They turn up on time and
get you where you need to go without taking stupid routes.

--
Spud