Old August 25th 16, 02:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london
tim... tim... is offline

Default Sadiq Khan and TfL on taxis and minicabs

"Recliner" wrote in message
David Cantrell wrote:
On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 02:48:12PM -0000, Recliner wrote:
David Cantrell wrote:
On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 01:26:03PM +0100, Recliner wrote:
One obvious reason: it's more expensive
IME Uber is cheaper than a local minicab company by around 25%.
especially at 'surge' times.
OK, I'll grant you that. They're rare though.
Lots of people say otherwise.

My own journey history says otherwise, but that, of course, isn't a
particularly valid survey :-) But then, nor is people bitching about it.

Looking through the details of the few journeys I've made where surge
pricing was in effect, and where I have a rough idea of how much a
non-Uber cab would cost - surge pricing only appears to bring the cost
up to that of a non-Uber cab most of the time.

- Second reason: it's less likely to have cars available locally in
residential areas (just like black cabs).

Wrong. There are four, right now, within 500 yards of my flat.

I suspect you're near the sort of traffic magnet that attracts Uber
drivers. They don't otherwise hang around residential areas.

I'd love to know what traffic magnet there is near CR7 8JH during the
middle of a working day.

Thornton Heath station, a Tesco superstore, a shopping parade with
restaurants, etc.

That's hardly a unique profile for suburban London

tim