Old August 30th 16, 01:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Theo[_2_] Theo[_2_] is offline

Default Quicker to walk?

Recliner wrote:
You're probably right, but I've seen lots of tourists apparently using the
Tube map as their map of London, with no sign of a street map.

Yes - as an infrequent London visitor it's taken a long time to get beyond
the tube map as my mental model of London. At first it was because it was
much clearer and more convenient than the A to Z. These days with Google
Maps et al it's easier to have a real map to hand, but the tube map is still
my primary model when I don't have one. And I usually end up being the
'local' whenever I go to London with other people who know less than I do.

(But the problem with the walking times PDF is it's in alphabetical order,
so no use to people for whom the tube map is their primary model)

Theo