Old August 30th 16, 07:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard[_3_] Richard[_3_] is offline

Default Sadiq Khan and TfL on taxis and minicabs

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 12:13:12 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

Uber's "problem", if we can call it that, is only having one product for
sale, and so people assume it's up to speed with the compliance of its
sellers.

On the other hand, such problems don't appear to affect TheTrainlne,
unless I've missed all the complaints that they refuse to pay
compensation when the train is late, or people don't get a seat.

I think the difference is that rail is very heavily regulated, and
although they might differ on how good their sites/apps are, all
retailers have to meet the same requirements and will know the rules
inside-out, including the various Delay Repay variants. For me, the
equivalent would be Uber only selling black cabs *and* there being an
established process for anyone selling those online.

I don't use Uber - if I need a taxi, it's always to Heathrow at an
appalling time and I use one of two very good local companies. If
there is to be a decline in the black cab trade in London, I'd be sad,
but can't quite put my finger on why. Expensive, but quality - known
the world over - and accessible to everyone. A symbol of the city.
Perhaps that's it... mostly emotion.

Richard.