Old September 4th 16, 05:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default Can you visit every underground station on one fare?

wrote:
In article
-september
.org, (Recliner) wrote:

John Levine wrote:
Apropos of a recent report of a guy in New York who visited every NY
subway station in record time, the question arose of why the usual NY
subway challenge rules require you do it on one fare, but the London
tube challenge rules don't. Guiness will accept NY records using
multiple fares but New Yorkers uniformly consider that to be cheating.
(NY has a few places where you can make an out of system connection on
the same fare, but they don't seem to be useful for record attempts.)

As far as I can tell, there's never been a single-fare tube challenge.
Is it possible? Are there lines where you have to exit at the end
of the line? Are there connections you can only make out of system?
Would it just take too long, and do night tubes change that?

Signed,
Confused

Here's the story about the NY challenge, with video:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/29/ny...ess-world-reco
rd-subway-challenge-matthew-ahn.html

London PAYG single journeys have a time limit, so it's a non-starter. So
you need a Travelcard, assuming you don't already have some kind of pass.

When we did it (in 1970 admittedly) we negotiated a special ticket from LT.
It was a write valid for the whole day between "All stations served by LT
Trains". It was accepted on the 03:59 BR train from Liverpool St which we
took to Upminster in time for the 04:59 District service but a ticket
collector at Watford Junction tried to take it off us because it said
"Single ticket".

There wasn't a regular ticket valid in the peaks and covering everywhere
then. Now a Peak Day Travelcard should cover it, shouldn't it?

I assume so. It costs £21.70:
http://content.tfl.gov.uk/adult-fares.pdf

Just curious, but I wonder if the contest rules allow using LO between H&W
and Queen's Park, instead of a Bakerloo train, if the former turns up
first? You'd still visit the same stations.