Old September 14th 16, 09:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Sadiq Khan and TfL on taxis and minicabs

On 14/09/2016 09:17, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 23:42:45 on Tue, 13 Sep
2016, Mizter T remarked:
[...]

You might just as well argue that there's a deterrent to using the
Dartford crossing as you (almost) can't pay for that without setting
up an account

If I can chip in here, yes that is deterrent. I've avoided it ever
since. On the other hand I used the M6 toll for the first time a couple
of months ago, and all you have to do is lean out of the car and use any
old contactless credit card.

Erm, it's not that difficult, really.

(1) Navigate oneself to...
https://www.gov.uk/pay-dartford-crossing-charge

(2) Click on "Start now" and be taken to...
https://www.dartford-crossing-charge.service.gov.uk/Home/Choose

(3) Click on "Make a one off payment" and click on "Next"

And carry on for several more screens entering various data.

Four screens by my count, with the following info requested:

(1) Enter vehicle reg number
(2) Confirm the vehicle make & model (no need to enter this, it's taken
from the DVLA database)
(3) Choose how many crossings you wish to pay for (they are valid for up
to a year)
(4) Enter and confirm email address for receipt
(5) Enter payment card details

They're not asking for anything more than the bare minimum of info
needed. It's much the same as paying the London CC charge.

Do they free wifi at the Eurotunnel holding pens, so you can do this
after arriving via Dartford? (Smartphone users only, need apply).

The terminal buildings have wifi, yes. Many/most smartphone users will
have a data allowance, and the mobile version of the Dart Charge website
is lightweight.

If that's all too hard, then there's the call centre - 0300 300 0120,
open 5am to midnight.

It's not an ideal interface, but my principle complaint would be that
accessing an existing account isn't straightforward.

(An aside - the payments pages are labelled "Alpha", still - similar
is found elsewhere on GOV.UK. I think it's an inappropriate and
misleading use of the terminology, and one that won't be understood by
many.)

Re the M6 toll - you almost make it sound like "any old contactless
credit card" is required... the staffed booths happily take a handful
of coins!

I was surprised they had any manned booths, there's obviously a lot of
goat herders using the road.

On the French autoroutes nowadays there seem to be few staffed booths,
though the automatic payment machines take notes and coins as well as
credit/debit cards (and I'm pretty sure they give change as well).