Old September 15th 16, 07:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default 55 Broadway

bob wrote:
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On 15.09.16 13:27, Recliner wrote:
LU has occupied this Grade 1 listed building designed by Charles
Holden, since commissioning it in the 1920s, but will soon be moving
out. The old building above St James's Park station is no longer
suitable for a head office, and will be converted into housing (mainly
posh flats, but some affordable) plus some offices and retail. When
opened in 1929, it was London's tallest office block, and was heavily
influenced by US skyscrapers of the era.

I managed to go on a tour earlier this week, before it departs:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...57673901178545

Where are TfL going, in that case?

You can see the new TfL HQ going up in The International Quarter,
Stratford. It's one of the big new office blocks between Westfield and the
aquatics cent
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trans...k-9373688.html

I am always a bit suspicious of phrases like "no longer suitable" in this
kind of context. Seems to me like moving the offices to a cheaper location
so the prime real estate can be sold for lots of money is a big driver
here.

Yes, that's certainly the case, but not being able to change anything in a
grade 1 listed building with a leaky roof is probably a major factor, too.
TfL long outgrew the building, and has multiple other London offices.