Old September 16th 16, 09:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Anna Noyd-Dryver Anna Noyd-Dryver is offline

Default Abbey Wood, latest pictures

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
On 14/09/2016 18:23, wrote:
I notice that the starter at SPILL has a D theatre-light indication.
Does that indicate down?

It will mean "track D". What "track D" means will depend on the
location, and I don't have data for SPILL.

Very likely it means "Down Line", with "U" used if the train is being
switched to the Up Line. But if this is the northbound platform, it
might be some way of distinguishing Kentish Town from Finsbury Park. Or
something else.

The lines out of Euston are labelled A to E and every signal from Euston
to Camden Junction displays the letter of the line the train will be on
at the next signal, even if there's no choice.

This no-longer appears to be the standard as its not being implemented like
that in the forthcoming Cardiff Central resignalling.

While no example comes to mind immediately, I'm sure there is at least
one place where "D" is the initial of the destination. If the line
speeds were lower, Colton Junction could have used "D" for Doncaster and
"L" for Leeds.

Later this year, Line D will be one of the lines through Cardiff Central
(some of the others being A B C and E).

Anna Noyd-Dryver