Old September 18th 16, 08:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Roastmasters. The worst?

On 2016-09-18 19:45:54 +0000, eastender said:

I find them quiet and comfortable and haven't been on one where it was
too hot. They really aren't that bad.

Agreed. I have no problem with them now the windows have been fitted
(nice big sliding ones, too, not poxy little hopper ventilators) to
solve the aircon issue.

It helps, yes, but it does not solve the issue. I dare say you have not
been on them in the hot weather over the summer. They are hotter than
other buses, even with the retro-fitted windows, no doubt.

I always pay my fare of course. I can't see how you can eliminate
evasion easily on these buses or the DLR.

Once it is legal to have remotely monitored barriers at completely
unstaffed stations the DLR can be barriered and I am sure it will be.
It is nothing more than an automated light rail version of the Tube.

As for these buses, once they give up on conductors they can easily be
reverted to the standard "on at the front, off at the back" approach.
Mark the staircases as one way to make it work even better.

Er, they have given up on conductors, and many routes that have had 'New
Routemasters' introduced on them never had conductors whatsoever. Plus
of course the conductors never checked the tickets, they were basically
just there to guard the open rear platform.

Boris made a big thing of saying 'Londoners want hop-on-hop-off open
platform buses, and that is what they shall have'... but that's not what
many people on NBfL routes ever got. But then again it was something
Boris said, so doesn't mean anything.