Old September 22nd 16, 12:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default Another one bites the dust

On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 09:49:21 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 08:30:46 on Thu, 22 Sep
2016, d remarked:

as a premium service - this was during the era when occasionally they would
fly concord on this route

Eh?? Was the concord maintenance base in manchester or something?

Filton, more likely.

No, I don't think the BA Concordes were maintained at Filton. You
could see them parked at the Heathrow hangars (where one still lives).

I expect a trip to Manchester would be a positioning move for a charter
flight later in the day.

No, it was one of the Shuttle goodies (which British Midland couldn't
offer). If they needed an extra Shuttle flight, Concorde was sometimes
the backup aircraft. For obvious reasons, this wasn't usually
advertised in advance, but I wonder if some people heard on the
grapevine. I once just missed travelling on one.

From BA's point of view, it was probably a useful way for pilots to
get extra take-off/landing practice.