Old September 22nd 16, 03:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default Another one bites the dust

tim... wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 13:09:54 on Wed, 21 Sep
2016, d remarked:
I first started to always try to work with carry on only after a trip on
the
Manchester shuttle to LHR.

I waited 45 minutes for my bag to appear and when it did it was one a a
total of 3 that the flight had carried!

By implication that means a lot of people on that flight were actually
visiting London.

The exact opposite. Most of the people on the flight will have been
connecting to another, with their bags checked through. That's the main
purpose of the Manchester flights.

Not really

Back in the day it was definitely a point to point route.

Companies would buy carnets of tickets and you just turned up with one at
the desk 20 minutes before and walked on (well in theory, anyway).

I guess that this MO got killed by the need to add on an extra hour for
security clearance meaning that the time saving over the train to London
disappeared for all but a small number of final destinations.

I think the other problem was the need to have a spare aircraft on standby
at each Shuttle base, and sometimes to fly them almost empty. I'm not sure
security took much longer in the 1990s than the 1980s. Even now, it only
takes a few minutes.