Old May 18th 04, 03:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Keith J Chesworth Keith J Chesworth is offline

Default Cost of two weeks stay in London

On 18 May 2004 06:56:08 -0700, (Chan WK)
wrote:

Hi netters,

A lady friend will be travelling to London for a two-weeks training
programme. Would appreciate comments on how much she should budget for
based on following info :

a) will fly into UK around July-August timeframe
b) probably take train from/to airport to/from London city centre to
save cost

Which Airpport, there are several she could be landing at

c) training venue is University College of London (for
"histology-related work". Not sure which campus at this stage)
d) she is not a frequent traveller, so preferably staying at somewhere
close to UCL

Some transport-related questions :
1) what is the mean of getting around in London, as well as to/from
the airport?

From the airport, see below.
Otherwise Underground Railway and busses.

2) how much will it cost? (assuming not taking taxi which I was told
is prohibitively expensive - she does have budget constraints)

Assuming that most days she will be on her course then a one day
travel card will suit for all busses and trains, varing in price from
a couple of pounds up, depending on how far out she wants to go.

Actually UCL is mainly in the centre of London and surrounded by the
Shops and 'tourist' places anyway, within walking distance

Some probably off-topic questions :
3) how much for accommodation which is close to UCL? (to minimize
travelling effort for her safety)

Someone else said try the Halls of Residence, if she can get one fine,
otherwise the Hotels I 'do' seem to charge between 50 and 350UKP per
night, that may not include breakfast. That is the walk in price.
Pre-booking via a suitable agency etc should be able to reduce that
quite considerably.

4) how much for meals?

From a couple of pounds (Say McD - if thats a meal) up depending on
where and what.

Please bear with me since I have never been to London before, hence
all these detail questions. TIA.

Shameless plug - have a look at unseenlondon, should give you some
ideas, has sections on transport, bus and tube (underground) and
various parts of London

Keith J Chesworth
www.unseenlondon.co.uk
www.blackpooltram.co.uk