Old September 23rd 16, 10:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Another one bites the dust

On 2016-09-23 09:59:00 +0000, tim... said:

ISTR it taking about 2:40 at the time, a reduction to 2:10 is hardly
enough to scoop up the market against a 30 minute flight time

It isn't a 30 minute flight time in any useful sense. Realistically it
involves arriving about an hour before the flight (as has long been the
case), and needs to include getting into central London as that is
where most people are going to be going. That means in practice a
journey time of around two and a half hours. Thus the difference
between 2:40 and 2:10 is very, very significant, as it is the change
that tips the balance. That between 2:10 and 1:50, say, would be much
less so.

No, as I said before, it's the need to arrive at the airport
significantly earlier, thus increasing total travel time buy plane
that's killed it

That has not changed - most times I've flown recently from a proper
airport (not Stansted) I have waited no longer than about 5 minutes for
security. Stansted is mismanaged, but also is not of any relevance to
BA flights from Manchester to London.

Neil
--
Neil Williams