Old May 18th 04, 05:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Those "Pre Pay users" Oyster validators

On Tue, 18 May 2004 11:38:59 +0100, k wrote:

On Mon, 17 May 2004 18:38:07 +0100, Paul Corfield
wrote:

On what grounds? As it CLEARLY says on the signs - the validators are
for prepay users.

On the grounds that all Oyster cards have pre-pay functionality and if
you travel beyond your zonal availability the pre-pay element can be
deducted - even if there is NO cash on the card. You must then top up
with cash in order to make another DLR or Tube trip.

Just because it has a prepay facility it doesn't mean you are using
it. If i only travel within the zones of my travelcard then I am not
using prepay. I still maintaiin that I am doing nothing wrong by not
vaidating my travelcard AT ALL when using the DLR (my Travelcard
covers all zones of the DLR)

You are right about the travelcard bit. I think the problem here is that
there are two concepts on the card. In our case you have no risk of
needing to extend your travelcard for DLR journeys by using the auto
ticket extension facility provided by Pre-Pay. Therefore you do not need
to validate. However the customer message needs to make clear that if
you do intend to extend e.g. to Zone 3 that you do can do this by using
pre-pay. If everyone understood how all this worked it would be easy -
however there are always people who do not understand how the zones and
extensions work and now we've added Pre-Pay on top. I guess the real
trick is just to explain a complex subject in simple terms to all
intending passengers - ahem!
--
Paul C