Old May 18th 04, 05:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Those "Pre Pay users" Oyster validators

On Tue, 18 May 2004 16:50:04 +0100, k wrote:

And I STILL don't understand why there are the extra set of gates at
Stratford....

The stratford issue is very easy to explain. When the system was
originally conceived a decree from on high said the JLE would be gated
off from other operators and from the street. This was before authority
was granted to gate the remainder of the LUL network - one of my pieces
of work at LUL so you can all blame me!!!

The original design of Stratford station had an independent overbridge
from the main ticket hall to the JLE platforms with its own gateline.
Therefore street to JLE was via one gateline. In order to comply with
the overarching edict the interchange gateline was designed in to cover
the potential for people reaching JLE from "open" stations on the
Central Line, BR and DLR lines. At a later stage there was a need to
redesign the route from street to JLE and the independent one gateline
route was removed. Therefore we ended up with the unique requirement to
double enter or double exit for trips from JLE to street - it caused no
end of problems in getting the ticket checking logic to work but there
you are. I don't claim any of it makes much sense but some of us did
try to point out the pitfalls.
--
Paul C