Old September 26th 16, 11:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Is Uber Bleeding to Death?

In message
-sept
ember.org, at 08:45:29 on Mon, 26 Sep 2016, Recliner
remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message
-sept
ember.org, at 21:30:40 on Sat, 24 Sep 2016, Recliner
remarked:

Anyway, here's a recent report of Uber's self-driving tests in Pittsburgh:

http://www.economist.com/news/busine...nches-its-firs
t-self-driving-cars-pitt-stop

I think you'll find that's the University's testing, and because Uber
funds that programme they get to go "along for the ride" so to speak.

It's also an early testing phase, which the cars won't necessarily pass.

It's not really a pass or fail issue. It's an alpha test. I assume the
software, algorithms and mapping database will be continually adjusted
during this testing phase, but no-one is planning to roll out this version
as a commercial release. But these improvements will feed back into the
eventual commercial release, which is probably several years away.

Like fusion power, you mean?

The big step in this phase is that it's not just the private test running
that Google has been doing for years, but a public test, with random
members of the public actually using the cars as a taxi service.

I've always assumed the Google test was at the very least assisting
their employees to commute to work. Or is it only people driving around
at random during their work day with the firm?

It seems to be a little more ambitious than the nuTonomy trial that
started a few days earlier in Singapore, but is still well short of a
commercial release.

The novelty is the way they are spinning it for PR purposes. I don't
blame them for that, but it does appear to have got many people rather
over-excited. Didn't BR run the APT in Alpha-testing revenue service,
before scrapping the project?

As an aside, it's interesting how much much hardware these early
self-driving cars currently need (numerous sensors, Lidar, Radar, cameras,
etc) compared to just the eyes and ears we human drivers get by with.

20 cameras, and radar! I wonder how fault-tolerant it is when one or
more of the cameras fails because of an electrical fault, or become
covered in snow. And don't forget, one of the problems Volvo has found
is the radar antennas getting clogged with snow.

ObRail: Right or wrong sort of snow, I wonder?