Old September 26th 16, 04:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] spud@potato.field is offline

Default Heathrow Hub looking like the winner

On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 15:31:30 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
I didn't say I was directly affected, though seeing a natural blue sky over

my
house just occasionally would be nice. But the point was about more airport
capacity in the SE which means more takeoffs and landings.

I suspect Brexit will be given as one of the reasons for expanding
Heathrow, on the basis that we need more longhaul trading links to
partially replace some potentially lost EU trade. Heathrow is seen as the
preferred choice for wide-body, longhaul flights, Gatwick for shorthaul
narrow-body flights.

The ulimate problem is the SE is too crowded so lots of people will be
affected by the extra noise and finding any land for expansion anywhere is
going to be viciously opposed. Quite understandably IMO. We've already got
6 large runways (8 if you include northolt and biggin hill) in and around
the London area. With *proper* transport links that should be more than
enough.

--
Spud