Old September 26th 16, 04:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Clank Clank is offline

Default Heathrow Hub looking like the winner

wrote:
On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 10:57:55 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:34:25 on Mon, 26 Sep
This would have been in 1980, all arguments would all be forgotten by
now and London's airport provision would be in a better place than it
is now

SSE is sill going strong, as are the campaigns against a second runway
at Gtwick and a third at Heathrow.

The airspace in the SE is already some of the most congested in the world.
When was the last there was a blue sky over london on a clear day? We don't
need or want any more air traffic. Too bad if people can't take a flight with
24 hours notice. Instant gratification is something children expect, not adults.

If having the whole of Europe available to me at (less than) 24 hours
notice makes me a child - **** it, I'm loving my childhood. My mother (in
her 70s) bought a globe recently so she can stick a pin in all the places I
WhatsApp her from that she couldn't even conceive of visiting in her
lifetime. I have absolutely no guilt about this - my generation has the
opportunity to embrace the world and our lives are immeasurably improved
for it, and if it upsets a few nimbies who object to seeing a contrail, so
be it.

Alas, the next generation in Britain will have had many of those
opportunities taken away from them by Brexit. I'm glad I emigrated when I
did - ration cards and hiding from the rest of the world never seemed that
bucolic to me, but whatever floats your boat...