Old September 28th 16, 01:29 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Charles Ellson[_2_] Charles Ellson[_2_] is offline

Default Turning London orange

On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 15:29:41 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 15:16:40 on Tue, 27 Sep
2016, Mizter T remarked:
"Londoners won't pay a penny more for their travel in 2020 than
they do today."

Londoners don't only use trains where TfL sets the fares.

Not all the passengers are Londoners either but it seems to be one of
several places where the description "people" is displaced by a
presumption that strangers have all stayed on their own side of the
boundary.

Presumably that's just referring to Oyster fares, on the assumption
that no Londoner is stupid enough to pay cash fares, but some non
Londoners do (and then go on social media and complain about London's
fares)

Some Oyster fares are based on National Rail fares for the route. Such
as Vauxhall to Waterloo direct (where iirc it's more than going on an
indirect tube-only route).

This applies to Oyster+contactless fares for most NR routes (apart from
LO) south of the river. North of the river, many NR routes are on the
TfL fare scale, rather than the NR fare scale.

Your example is far from unique... see also Richmond or Wimbledon to
Waterloo, Lewisham to Charing Cross, Balham to Victoria etc etc.

I had a meeting in Vauxhall, and decided to return via Waterloo so I
could make some phone calls on the train. When I later saw the bill, I
was a bit surprised because I'd thought all fares were zonal nowadays.
Clearly I've been taken in by some previous puffery.

TfL don't seem to be sending me my monthly Oyster statements any more,
so I haven't yet dug out whether Blackfriars (another meeting) to Kings
Cross costs more on Thameslink

NR journey planner says 4-90 via LU (to KXSP), 2-90 "Not Underground",
"from 2-40" for Oyster at the top of the page and merely 2-40 for PAYG
at the bottom of the page (linked from the top of the page) for peak
or off-peak. Whether or not that matches reality might be another
matter.

than the tube.