Old May 18th 04, 07:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Annabel Smyth Annabel Smyth is offline

Default Cost of two weeks stay in London

On Tue, 18 May 2004 at 06:56:08, Chan WK
wrote:

Hi netters,

A lady friend will be travelling to London for a two-weeks training
programme. Would appreciate comments on how much she should budget for
based on following info :

a) will fly into UK around July-August timeframe
b) probably take train from/to airport to/from London city centre to
save cost

Er - if she's flying into Heathrow, the Tube is infinitely cheaper
(although slower). If she's at UCL, she can get the Tube direct to
Russell Square from Heathrow Airport, a journey which will take probably
just over an hour (haven't got the exact timings here, and I don't think
average journey times are posted on the TFL website) and will cost
£3.80. At Gatwick the train is the best option, although coach services
(buses) are cheaper.

c) training venue is University College of London (for
"histology-related work". Not sure which campus at this stage)
d) she is not a frequent traveller, so preferably staying at somewhere
close to UCL

Some transport-related questions :
1) what is the mean of getting around in London, as well as to/from
the airport?
2) how much will it cost? (assuming not taking taxi which I was told
is prohibitively expensive - she does have budget constraints)

She will need to buy a one-week Travelcard for each week of her stay.
For zones 1 & 2, probably all she'll need, this will cost her £20.20
each week, and will allow her unlimited travel on buses all over London,
and all Tube, DLR and National Rail services within zones 1 and 2.

If money is more limited than time, she can buy a one-week bus pass,
valid on every bus in London, for only £9.50 per week, but that is only
valid on buses, and she would need to buy additional tickets for Tube,
DLR and national rail journeys.

I suggest you and she check out the Transport for London web page:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

Some probably off-topic questions :
3) how much for accommodation which is close to UCL? (to minimize
travelling effort for her safety)
4) how much for meals?

Depends on where she eats! McDonald's is ubiquitous and cheap, but who
wants to eat there?

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/destinations/europe/london/

http://www.timeout.com/london/

will probably be the most helpful.