Old September 28th 16, 02:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bakerloo train replacements

In article , d () wrote:

On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 03:40:36 -0700 (PDT)
e27002 wrote:
On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 11:21:53 AM UTC+1,
wrote:
Rode on the bakerloo for the first time in years today. My god the 72
stock is looking and sounding tired. Whoever is keeping them running is
certainly earning their money. Anyone know when replacements on the
way? IIRC there is going to be a block order for a number of lines.

AFIK Boltar, the existing trains are undergoing heavy refurbishment for
life extension. IMHO they are OK. The seats are comfortable, and the
doors open very promptly at stations.

One wonders how far their life can be further extended short of a rebuild
given they're already 45 years old. Finding parts must be a problem too.
I wouldn't be surprised if they have to be made bespoke.

They will be simple though. No electronics in 1972.

Yes, the seats are comfy. Not sure why modern train builders seem to think
its acceptable for people to sit on covered granite.

Last I read the refurbishment programme was going a bit slowly as they have
been finding more corrosion than they bargained for. The Bakerloo isn't
first in the queue for NTfL trains either.

--
Colin Rosenstiel