Old September 28th 16, 03:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Bakerloo train replacements

On 28.09.16 15:25, Recliner wrote:
On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 14:08:05 +0000 (UTC), d wrote:

On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 14:07:03 +0100
Recliner wrote:
The 1972 stock probably won't be replaced for at least a decade, as
the 1973 stock is first in the queue.

Wonder if TfL are going for the oldest metro trains in regular public service
in europe, or maybe even the world record?

They'll have trouble beating the IoW. Several other LU fleets have got
to 50 years, including the 1938 and A stocks. I think the Paris Metro
still has MF67 trains built in the early 1970s.

The Pyongyang Metro uses ex-West Berlin U-Bahn stock dating from
around 1960. It looked clean and in good nick when I travelled on it
in 2013:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...57633424928749

Dorotas? I thought that they were also built in the 60s/70s.

They were good, well-built trains, from what I saw and heard, so it is
not surprising that Pyongyang bought a few.

Did you see any Gielas when there, BTW? I know that they were running
for a while in revenue service, but I haven't seen any images of them in
a while. I do know that some Giselas went to regional rail service and
some to the government metro lines, but I wonder if any are running
around on the Hyeoksin Line as that is the one that outsiders are less
likely to see.

Having said that, the Pyongyang Metro has reportedly introduced new and
modern rolling stock, though some have said that it looks a lot like a
Gisela. So, they could have stripped one down, leaving only the body,
and rebuilt -- similar to what they did with Soviet 81-series trains on
the Prague Metro. The seating on those was certainly similar to that,
which I myself saw on Giselas, I must say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcfmx8X-LMg

However, the two (known) lines are entirely underground, and the train
speeds seemed quite low.

Any number of reasons -- speed restriction, energy conservation, poor
track, recent trackwork.