Old September 29th 16, 08:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] spud@potato.field is offline

Default Bakerloo train replacements

On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 21:50:14 +0100
"Richard J." wrote:
Recliner wrote on 28 Sep 2016 at 15:25 ...
On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 14:08:05 +0000 (UTC), d wrote:

On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 14:07:03 +0100
Recliner wrote:
The 1972 stock probably won't be replaced for at least a decade, as
the 1973 stock is first in the queue.

Wonder if TfL are going for the oldest metro trains in regular public

service
in europe, or maybe even the world record?

They'll have trouble beating the IoW. Several other LU fleets have got
to 50 years, including the 1938 and A stocks. I think the Paris Metro
still has MF67 trains built in the early 1970s.

The Paris Métro still has MP59 trains in service on line 11. These are
rubber-tyred trains delivered from 1963 to 1973. MF67 trains are indeed
still in use, on lines 3, 10, 12 and possibly a few on line 9.

I'm surprised given the advances in railway technology over the last 50 years
that the french still soldier on with rubber tyred metros given their
inefficiency and maintenance costs. All the rubber tyred lines have normal
tracks too for maintenance vehicles so it would be simple to introduce steel
wheeled stock then removed the old guiderails.

--
Spud