Old September 30th 16, 05:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Is Uber Bleeding to Death?

On 2016-09-30 14:37:49 +0000, Recliner said:

Here's some info on the all-new 2018 Defender:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...ad-2018-launch

Although prices aren't mentioned, I suspect it's going to be expensive, as
it uses a beefed-up version of the aluminium platform used by the Range
Rover, Range Rover Sport and 2017 Discoverer. So I suspect it will be
targeted at a completely different niche to the old Defender, perhaps more
like a Mercedes G-Class.

Possibly, though the G-Wagen is much more like the "old" Defender -
ladder frame chassis etc. If they want to sell a reasonable volume,
the new Defender will need to provide at least some competition with
the Japanese pickups - just appealing to enthusiasts isn't going to
sell all that many, particularly as most of them will continue, for
now, to buy used "old style" Defenders.

I do like the look of it, though. Just as "boxy" as the original,
which is also very practical - the obsession in the 2010s of giving
everything a "fast back" is not very practical for carrying large
loads. And Japanese pickups are all very well, but no good for anyone
wanting 7 "full size" seats, nor for long load carrying.

An electric and hybrid version might be nice. Though I bet someone
will bring out an electric conversion kit for the old-style Defender -
the modular nature of the vehicle would to me make it quite easy to
convert once battery technology can supply enough energy to shift such
a heavy vehicle far enough. It's already been done with milk-float
parts, but that obviously isn't practical for day to day road use
(though may well be fine for farm use where speed is not a necessity).

Neil
--
Neil Williams