Old October 12th 16, 10:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] spud@potato.field is offline

Default Battersea extension

On Wed, 12 Oct 2016 10:08:22 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 08:43:44 on Wed, 12 Oct
Yes, all the thousands of users who use aioe get a server to themselves!
For free!

It'd be a virtual server, obviously.

Ah, mais oui! Everytime someone posts something they start up an entire VM
+ NNTP server just to make sure the posting host field is different.
Why didn't I think of that??

Anyway, looking closer at your headers the posting-hostname is

random looking string.user.gioia.aioe.org

Fascinating.

But what would a numbskull know eh?

The difference between a server and a virtual server?

You're right, I have no idea. When I was a sys admin I just used to wing it.

Why don't you try posting from the site yourself and see what pops up. Since
you're such an expert on NNTP you don't need to reconfigure your client, you
can do it just using telnet.

Why reinvent the wheel when I can ask ?

Why do you assume I am conversant with the operational setup of a free
news service based in the netherlands?

Interestingly through your domain name I've just found out your wifes name,
your home address and what car you drive. Thats not a clever thing to allow
these days.

--
Spud