Old October 12th 16, 04:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Battersea extension

In message , at 14:48:00 on Wed, 12 Oct 2016,
Nick Leverton remarked:
Just a thought... one of the Northern platforms at London Bridge is as
new as the Jubilee extension but doesn't have PEDs. Although perhaps
that is because the existing tunnels could be used for ventilation, so
adding PEDs would not have saved anything.

The ventilation there is partly via the old C&SLR tunnels, but also the
original lift shaft. I've always wondered if that has survived the
recent large amount of rebuilding at ground level (it's outside the
footprint of the NR station).

The old CSLR station building was demolished within the last few years
However there is now a small free-standing steel rotunda composed
of ventilation grills, as near as I can tell exactly above the lift
shaft (corner of London Bridge Street and the former Railway Approach,
immediately adjacent to the new viaduct span at Borough Market).

Ah-ha! and it's got doors too :-) That probably means you can still go
down the staircase inside, to the platforms (it comes out in one of the
passages about 2/3 way from the bottom of the main escalators to the
platforms). It could even be an emergency exit from the station.

https://goo.gl/maps/24eu1giEQFr

Also associated with Site No 6 on this plan of the wartime air-raid
shelters:

http://www.perry.co.uk/maps/london_b...shelters_1.tif