Old October 18th 16, 01:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Taxi drivers protest outside TfL

On 2016-10-18 13:02:33 +0000, tim... said:

so what's the beef here?

Some taxi and minicab drivers like to fail to declare their whole
income for tax purposes.

That's why taxi drivers (and minicab drivers) don't like card payments.
And why I do - it's a highly dodgy industry which is receiving some
welcome regulation from a passenger's point of view. I'm more than
happy to pay, by card from my pre-configured account, a fare that has
been determined by a non-tamperable smartphone app - that's how Uber
works. That way, drivers willing to fiddle things gain no advantage.
Take it one further and price zonally, and the incentive to cheat by
taking an unnecessarily long route goes, too. As does arguing about
tips.

Neil
--
Neil Williams