Old October 18th 16, 02:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Taxi drivers protest outside TfL

In article ,

On 2016-10-18 13:02:33 +0000, tim... said:

so what's the beef here?

Some taxi and minicab drivers like to fail to declare their whole
income for tax purposes.

That's why taxi drivers (and minicab drivers) don't like card
payments. And why I do - it's a highly dodgy industry which is
receiving some welcome regulation from a passenger's point of view.
I'm more than happy to pay, by card from my pre-configured account, a
fare that has been determined by a non-tamperable smartphone app -
that's how Uber works. That way, drivers willing to fiddle things
gain no advantage. Take it one further and price zonally, and the
incentive to cheat by taking an unnecessarily long route goes, too.
As does arguing about tips.

Hackney carriage drivers have meters to keep them honest of course. One
reason why licensed hire cars in Cambridge have meters.

--
Colin Rosenstiel