Old October 18th 16, 08:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default Battersea extension

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 14:26:18 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

I thought that one of the requirements for the new stock was that it was
externally identical to the current 95TS trains (including the cabs, so
drivers didnt need special training), but that they use modern technology
below the floor?

It probably is but the procurement process is not yet complete and
while I agree with your other post about Alstom being the front runner
we must wait to see what happens. Obviously as close to identical or
identical is highly desirable but I was only suggesting that there may
be some small differences. A matter of millimetres here or there with
door positions could cause issues about how PEDs, if they were to be
fitted, would work across a mixed fleet.

I also don't see PEDs being fitted at two stations with all the
interfaces and changes to on board software on a large train fleet
that would be necessary. I also don't see TfL tying themselves into
PEDs with one door spacing that would be completely incompatible with
the likely door spacing on the NTfL.

I agree that PEDs are unlikely at these two new stations, but probably not
because of NTfL, which isn't planned for the Northern Line, whose fleet is
unlikely to be replaced for another 25 or so years. That's probably longer
than the service life of PEDs.