Old October 23rd 16, 07:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Taxi drivers protest outside TfL

In message , at 14:53:50 on Sat, 22 Oct
2016, Basil Jet remarked:
Arguing that they shouldn't have to compete with a "technology" based
routeing system instead on having to do "the knowledge", is just plain
Ludditeism. It's for the customer to decide what system they prefer
(and are prepared to pay for), not the regulators.

.. except that cars stopped in, say, Mercer Street while the driver
says "K L A R K U N W E L ... I am not finding it in my sattienav" will
bring the entire city to a halt. In fact, if you try moving a vehicle
anywhere near Trafalgar Square at midnight on a Friday, you will see
the area is already at a halt because of so many minicabs waiting for a
ping.

The Knowledge is much more than a human satnav, too. Someone said
recently "if you want to find the Womens' Refuge in a town, go to he
railway station and ask one of the taxi drivers". Like may other
destinations people might ask for, that isn't even in the satnav.