Old October 23rd 16, 10:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default Taxi drivers protest outside TfL

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 10:04:08 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 08:34:29 +0000 (UTC), d wrote:

Lots of noise and blocked traffic when I walked past yesterday in
Southwark.
Anyone know what they're protesting about this week? Is it Uber, fares, or
they just don't like TfL in general?

They want the world to stand still, for regulation to remain as it has
done since they gained their monopoly, for technological process to be
banned and for TfL to be their "bestest ever friend in the whole wide
world" so taxi drivers can not suffer the consequences that anyone
whose job or trade has been forcibly changed by progress has had to
do. In short TfL and the Mayor should do what the taxi drivers
f*ckin' tell them to do.

Ironic really when you consider the general political slant of many
taxi drivers. You'd imagine they'd be against protectionism, would
love innovation and would be swashbuckling supporters of competition.

I have a bit of sympathy for them but not engaging with the world as
it is rther than how they wish it was is a rather stupid approach to
take.

I agree

Arguing that they shouldn't have to compete with a competitor who structures
his business in a way that facilitates tax evasion (yes, I said evasion) is
one thing (not suggesting that Uber evades tax, but ISTM that the casual
relationship that they have with drivers enables them to do so, if they are
so minded)

Surely an Uber driver has far *less* opportunity to evade tax than
other mini cab or black cab drivers? All fares are collected via
Uber, so there are no undocumented cash payments. As for Uber itself,
it has no opportunity to evade tax, but it certainly has a typical
tax-efficient multinational financial structure that will allow it to
minimise taxes when it gets into profit. You may not like that, but it
isn't tax evasion.