Old October 23rd 16, 10:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Battersea extension

In article g.uk,

On 2016-10-23, Clank wrote:
On 23.10.2016 5:54 PM,
wrote:
In article ,
(Clank)
wrote:

Have you travelled on a Croydon tram? The original Bombardier Flexity
fleet still have their Simoco-branded FM1000 radios. Simoco had gone
bust by the time the tramway opened but I think Philips had to back the
guarantees.

Many times, I lived in Croydon for a long time (moved there when I
started at PRL, in fact - it was as close to Horley as I was willing to
live ;-).)
Of course the trams didn't exist then, but I watched it built and used
it from opening day on :-).

Well that is very interesting to read, I lived in Croydon when the
original trams ran up the high street, often got my bike wheels stuck in
the tramlines.

I also worked for Philips at the height of the 60's consumer boom in the
giant stores in Beddington Lane, valves, transistors, magnetic components
and tons of other interesting stuff, we had the first colour tv's they
came in by the lorryload, we had to unload and stack them, they weighed at
least 45 to 50 pounds, then a couple of days later we had to hump them
onto another lorry.
We used to get overtime at xmas in the record stores in the Croydon
factory in Purley Way
The stores was about 6 acres of double floor dexion with lifts and stairs
and about 2 acres of rows of standard green pallets with wooden
pallets on board
it was fun racing around on a fork lift truck, and our first electric
pallitron was one of the wonders of the universe at the time
Those were the days.........

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be? At least the mobile radio communications
industry involved smaller quantities of lighter kit.

--
Colin Rosenstiel