Old October 24th 16, 09:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] spud@potato.field is offline

Default Battersea extension

On Mon, 24 Oct 2016 03:58:55 -0500
wrote:
In article ,
d () wrote:
So its up to the manufacturer to choose items that he can make a fair
guess will still be around in 10-20 years time and if that means using a
discrete CPU + TTL and I/O chips instead of some all in one DSP or SoC
then thats what they'll have to do. As for traction kit its not as if no
one makes thyristors any more.

You completely misunderstand electronics manufacturing. Kit has only got
smaller because functions are more and more integrated into single chips.

The size of the motherboard might matter for consumer kit, but its hardly
significant when you're building something as big as a train.

Also you might want to consider how aircraft manufacturers manage. You think
Boeing or Airbus are going to say to BA or Virgin "Sorry lads, but we can't
get the parts for the avionics or engine control system any more, you're going
to have to scrap that 20 year old $100million 747/A340". Of course not.

And you've rather proved my point there - if the components or
suitable substitutes weren't available then these radios wouldn't be
repairable.

They're repaired by cannibalisation, silly!

Ok , I misunderstood.

--
Spud