Old October 24th 16, 01:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] spud@potato.field is offline

Default Battersea extension

On Mon, 24 Oct 2016 06:13:04 -0500
wrote:
In article ,
d () wrote:
Also you might want to consider how aircraft manufacturers manage. You
think Boeing or Airbus are going to say to BA or Virgin "Sorry lads, but
we can't get the parts for the avionics or engine control system any more,
you're going to have to scrap that 20 year old $100million 747/A340".
Of course not.

I can see the problem but not how they answered it. It won't be cheap,
that's for sure.

I'm pretty sure its all modular so you can unplug an old module and plug in
a new one with exactly the same I/O ports and protocols but whatever is inside
may be completely new. I find it hard to believe that something isn't done on
trains to allow them to be kept going after the original electronics components
are no longer available.

--
Spud