Old October 28th 16, 04:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Registering railcards on Oyster

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
07:46:16 on Fri, 28 Oct 2016,
remarked:
My 3-year Senior Railcard expired on Tuesday so on Monday I renewed it
online. It turns out they add a week to the renewal expiry date for
online renewals to allow for posting the cards out. The new card actually
arrived in the post on Tuesday.

Yesterday I tried to register the railcard on my Oyster card at a ticket
machine at Liverpool St station. When the assistant typed in the
01/11/2019 expiry date it was rejected, apparently for being more than 3
years in the future. He tried 01/11/19 too. Nothing he or his colleagues
could do would get the railcard registered to the Oyster card.

Luckily I had my bike with me and wasn't planning to use Oyster
yesterday. My next visit to London when I might need Oyster won't be till
after 1st November.

But why doesn't TfL recognise that railcard expiry can be more than 3
years away, even if by only a week? This failure must surely be in breach
of their contract with ATOC?

They might well say "only attempt that when on your first trip on or
after 1/11/16".

That date is not on the card. The ATOC railcard web site makes it clear the
card is valid from issue.

Transport companies are very weak when it comes to IT - hence why
I've had a prepaid bus carnet card unpredictably decide it was out of
date on my first attempted trip one January, and an ITSO card (East
Midlands Trains) which had been given a birth date as the issue date,
so was unable to sell me other than child tickets.

:-)

The bus company put into place measures to cure the former (as long
as you were prepared to visit their office), but I never did get EMT
staff to even understand what the problem was.

:-))

"We've not been trained on it, **** off". They'll make ideal
employees for a re-nationalised MML.

:-)))