Old October 29th 16, 08:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Robin[_4_] Robin[_4_] is offline

Default GMB Take On Uber And Win!

On 28/10/2016 17:47, Robin9 wrote:

I've always wondered why HMRC
went along with the idea that those drivers were self-employed.

I don't doubt HMNRC are looking at the decision. But the difference
between employed and self-employed was and is a matter of general
employment law. And can be complicated. Then "worker" has been
introduced in addition - as a result of EU law. (And that is what Uber
drivers have been held to be by the Employment Tribunal.)

Many workers are taxed as employees under legislation for agency workers
or service companies. But legislating to make every worker an employee
for tax purposes would, I suspect, be controversial.

--
Robin