Old October 30th 16, 10:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london
tim... tim... is offline

Default GMB Take On Uber And Win!

wrote in message
In article , (tim...)
wrote:

The evidence that the drivers are like employees looked pretty formidable
me. They have almost no discretion over their work for a start, unlike
taxi
drivers.

Penalising drivers for not accepting offers is a pretty dumb thing for Uber
to do (it's not clear to me why the MO requires it [1])

but the rest all seems pretty normal to me

There are plenty of SE people subbing for companies with a national brand
name to uphold (think window fitters, for example) where it seems reasonable
for the major to dictate the presentational details of "how" the job is
done, once the subbie has accepted the job. The reputation of the brand has
an interest in that.

I can't see that that distracts from the genuine SE nature of the contract.

tim

[1] I can think of a few possibilities, but have no knowledge as to if they
are applicable