Old November 9th 16, 02:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] wormwood001@hotmail.com is offline

Default Croydon tram overturned

On Wednesday, November 9, 2016 at 2:28:55 PM UTC, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:56:48 on Wed, 9 Nov
2016, Roland Perry remarked:
The Guardian are quoting a TfL source as saying
"the incident happened inside a tunnel" -
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ped-40-injured

Which suggests it was running north towards Sandilands Station and
something had happened inside the tunnel.

Frustrating that there's no definite reporting of its direction.

Daily Mail now reporting:

'It happened on a sharp bend on the approach to Sandilands tram stop.'

Which is consistent with another comment:

'As we looked down on the tram it was on its right hand side'

From Sandilands the track descends steeply and splits in two, where it joins the route of the former Woodside and South Croydon Railway. By the look of the overhead shot, it was possibly taking the righthand track and came off. Or was it coming the other way and took the corner too fast? If it wasn't human error, then perhaps brake failure? I'm not familiar with braking systems on that system.

Neill