Old November 10th 16, 10:32 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Optimist Optimist is offline

Default Wolmar for MP

On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 09:14:03 +0000, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 08:15:08 on
Thu, 10 Nov 2016, Optimist remarked:

I don't recall anyone on TV expressing "fear and loathing of
foreigners" -

Vox pop from places like Wisbech and Boston which they claim are
overwhelmed by Lithuanians and Poles.

Ah, I thought you were referring to Brexit politicians.

Here's the same kind of sentiments in print:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...anger-wisbech-
cambridgeshire-insecurity-immigration

A good article.

UK employers take advantage of eastern Europeans by lowering wage rates. Criminality by gangmasters
is rife.

Things are made worse through benefit and housing policies. As benefits for children not living in
the UK are payable, EU workers can afford to work for wages undercutting British workers. Social
housing rules means those who have been here a short time are entitled to housing ahead of those who
have been waiting years. Other countries do not have these rules.

These issues are not the fault of the migrants, who are acting perfectly rationally. Successive
British governments have failed to tackle these issues. But British people in low-paid jobs and in
rented housing feel they are disadvantaged.

unless you are referring to the desire to have proper control of
immigration which is already running at over 600,000 (1% of the
population) a year and we are already one of the most densely populated
countries on the planet.

One of the problems with the stats is counting foreign students (whose
fees many Universities depend on) as immigrants. Another is the
notoriously poor handle we have on the number of economic migrants
returning home.

The ONS likes to obfuscate the statistics. But from what I can make out, immigration, emigration,
birth and death rates mean that the population is increasing by at least 10,000 a week. I also
think we'll have to bite the bullet and introduce a proper ID system.